Embracing Tradition: A Look into South India's Pongal Celebrations
Happy Pongal, everyone!
We're so excited to share with you a glimpse of south India's Pongal celebrations this year! From Jallikattu to Silambattam, Kambala to Kolla kalam, we've been embracing all the traditional games and dances that make this festival so unique.
- Kolam: A traditional rice flour art where intricate patterns are created on the ground in front of homes.
- Pongal cooking: The cooking of Pongal, a sweet dish made from rice, lentils, and jaggery, in clay pots over an open fire.
- Cattle decoration: A traditional practice where cows and bulls are decorated with colorful beads, bells, and garlands.
- Jallikattu: A bull-taming event where participants attempt to hold on to the hump of a bull for as long as possible.
- Bullock cart race: A race between teams of bullocks pulling carts.
- Kolaattam - a traditional stick dance from Tamil Nadu. It is performed by a group of people who hold sticks and hit them in rhythm to create a musical beat.
- Kite flying: People fly kites during Pongal to celebrate the clear sky and good weather.
- Mayil Attam: A traditional dance-drama form that originated in Tamil Nadu, it is known for its use of peacock feathers, elaborate costumes, and use of traditional music instruments.
- Kambala: A traditional water buffalo race that is popular in Tamil Nadu, it is known for its speed and excitement.
- Silambattam: A traditional martial art that originated in Tamil Nadu, it is known for its use of sticks and other weapons.
- Karagattam: A traditional dance-drama form that originated in Tamil Nadu, it is known for its use of colorful umbrellas and pots, elaborate costumes, and use of traditional music instruments.
Overall, it will be a wonderful experience to be a part of such vibrant and traditional celebrations. Experience south india's Pongal festival.
Note: These are the common traditional South Indian dances that are performed during the Pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. Some of these dances may vary depending on the specific region or village.
And speaking of traditional celebrations, remember to check out our latest collection of traditional kids wear from The Nesavu, an Affordable Premium Kids wear brand. Visit our showroom or check out our website to upgrade your kid's wardrobe with our dashing outfits.